It seems your browser has either disabled JavaScript or does not support it. Please note that parts of this site will not appear or function correctly without JavaScript. We reccomend you enable it or switch to a browser that supports it.


Popular questions:

Does a church licence cover a church hall too for church social functions?

If your hall is an integral part of the church building then the PRS Church Licence will cover the entire building including the hall unless more than six concerts/recitals per year are held in the church premises. If your hall is a separate building, whether or not it is within the curtilage of the church, then the hall can only be covered by CCLI if activities where music is played are run predominately by and for the church congregation. In all other cases PRS for Music will license the hall directly as a separate building. With regard to recorded music being played socially the PPL would only cover non-commercial third party hirers. Please contact our Customer Services department on 01323 436100 for further information.

Would a licence be required to sing from hymnbooks or songbooks during worship services?

A licence would not be required unless the hymns were being projected as well as the bought books were still being used.

What is Public Domain?

Song Lyrics go into the Public Domain when the Author has been dead for 70 years or more. A Music Publication goes out of copyright after 25 years but the songs within the book may still be in copyright. Songs that have gone into the Public Domain may be reproduced/photocopied. If in doubt please contact CCLI on 01323 436100.
More questions...

Reproducing Song Words

Popular questions:

Do we need a licence with CCLI to make an enlarged copy of song words for those with a visual impairment?

If there is no published version available then an enlargement can be made under the Copyright (Visually Impaired Persons) Act 2002. Further details can be viewed at

In our church we would like to make our own songbook for use in our congregation, can we do this under our CCL? How do we report these?

The Church Copyright Licence (CCL) permits you to print authorised song/hymn words in a ‘home-made’ songbook for use by your congregation. When you first create the book, you should report each song contained within it once under PRINT. You don’t need to report the use of these printed books again, regardless of how long you keep them. If you add additional songs, these should then be reported once under PRINT. However, if you subsequently print additional copies of your book, you should report again each song once under PRINT.

What acknowledgments should I give when displaying song words?

Under the words of each song reproduced you are required to include the following: "[author], © [year, owner], [your licence number]" eg. Fred Smiley, © 2007 Happy Music Ltd., CCL No, 123456
More questions...


Popular questions:

Do I need a licence to photocopy and enlarge music for someone who is visually impaired?

If there is no published version available then an enlargement can be made under the Copyright (Visually Impaired Persons) Act 2002.

Further details can be viewed at

We used to hold a Music Reproduction Licence, but don't anymore. Do we need to destroy photocopies of music we made at the time we had the licence?

Yes, any copies made your MRL would need to be destroyed.

What acknowledgements should I give on music photocopies?

The acknowledgment on each photocopy should have the Music Reproduction Licence Number, in the following format: Photocopied By Permission. MRL No. [ ]

Can our church use a file-sharing website such as DropBox to store sheet music files for our musicians to download?

Under the Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) you may store authorised music files in a file-sharing app or website, provided that it is password protected and access to them is granted only to members of your church team. For reporting purposes, you should report the number of intended recipients. So for example, if you place a sheet music PDF into a dropbox file for five musicians, you would report 5 under the MRL.
More questions...

Playing / Performing Music

Popular questions:

Are the PRS for Music and PPL Church Licences required for watching television or showing films within our church?

Neither licence is required for any use of music within an Act of Worship (where no entry charge is made). A TV licence is required to show television programmes in church activities. For activities outside of Acts of Worship, a PRS for Music Church Licence is required for live music only, however if the music being played is recorded music the PPL Church Licence will also be required. To show film scenes in worship/full films outside of a worship time you'll require a Church Video Licence. The premises should also have a PRS for Music licence if showing films outside of Acts of Worship. A PPL Church Licence is not currently required to show films.

Can we play CDs during our children's work?

You will probably require a PRS for Music Church Licence and PPL Church Licence to play CDs in church activities, but not within Acts of Worship (regular worship services). Please contact us for further information.

Can we play music in a cafe within the church building under our PRS for Music and PPL Church Licences?

Normally CCLI would not be able to cover a coffee shop or bookshop within a church building for playing music, however we would advise you call our Customer Services Department on 01323 436 100 for further advice.
More questions...

Showing Films or Film Scenes

Popular questions:

Can we use YouTube in church?

Unfortunately there is no simple answer. YouTube’s terms of service specify that its content is for ‘personal, non-commercial use’ (5.L.). However it goes on to make an exception where ‘prior written consent’ has been given by ‘YouTube or the respective licensors of the content’ (5.M.). If your church holds the Church Video Licence (CVL) from CCLI, you can legally show scenes from films covered by this licence provided the scene has been uploaded to YouTube by an authorised source. If a film scene has been uploaded to YouTube by an individual, e.g. a fan of the film, then it should not be deemed covered by the CVL and consequently it should not be shown during church activities. Showing ‘lyric videos’ Song videos that show the lyrics so that you can sing along to them are increasingly common on YouTube. However, CCLI recommends that you do not show them in a worship service or other public setting without the explicit consent of the publisher or copyright owner. If in doubt, it is usually possible to establish who owns the copyright. Seeking their direct permission is the safest way to ensure that you’re acting legally and doing the right thing.

Which films are covered by the Church Video Licence (CVL)?

The CVL does not cover all films. To find out if the film you want to show is covered: 1) Look on the DVD/Video cover or search online to find out which studio(s) produced and/or distributed the film 2) Search for the film studios/distributors on our Producer List ( If at least one of them is included on the list then the film is covered by the CVL. If the studios or distributors are not listed, the film is not covered by the CVL. In such cases you could try contacting FilmBank ( to see if they license the film, or alternatively contact the film producer direct

How can I get permission to show a film that is not included on the Church Video Licence (CVL) authorised producers list?

We would advise you contact the producer directly if they are not included on our authorised list. Remember, a PRS for Music Church Licence may also be required if showing the film outside of acts of worship.

Can we show films in church using a subscription streaming service such as Netflix?

Provided your church holds a Church Video Licence (CVL) and a PRS for Music Church Licence you can show films authorised under the CVL in church activities using a streaming service such as Netflix or Amazon Prime. If you are only showing film scenes during your regular worship services, and not during any other church activities, you will not require the PRS for Music licence in addition to the CVL.
More questions...

SongSelect (Downloading lyrics / chord sheets)

Popular questions:

How many users does SongSelect permit?

You can have unlimited users on SongSelect and they can access SongSelect from any internet-connected computer. Each user will need to 'create' their own personal account and log in details and then they will be able to 'link' to the church account.

Does SongSelect® link up with my projection software package?

Some software packages incorporate a feature which links to the SongSelect® website. Contact your supplier for more details.

Do I need to report the songs I download from SongSelect®?

Churches do not need to report they have downloaded lyrics or printed chord/lead sheets from Songselect, this is recorded automatically by SongSelect. A report would be required If these copies are subsequently reproduced e.g. lyrics projected or lyrics/music photocopied. A Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) would be required to photocopy chord/lead sheets printed from SongSelect.
More questions...


Popular questions:

How is the school size calculated?

The school size category is based upon the number of children registered as pupils at the school. This would not include children of a nursery age.

ONLINE REPORTING: Can I still report using my CopyReport4 software, my CD-ROM or Booklets?

Unfortunately not. The Online Reporting website has now replaced these and is the only way to report to CCLI.

ONLINE REPORTING: Why can I no longer search by Publication?

We’re aware that Online Reporting doesn’t enable users to search for songs based upon the songbook they use. This is a commonly-requested feature and is definitely high on our development ‘to do’ list; we’re working hard to include it in a future release of Online Reporting.
More questions...


Popular questions:

Can we record our services if they include live music?

The Church Copyright Licence (CCL) permits you to record services, including the singing of authorised songs, for the benefit of those unable to attend or as a keepsake. If you audio/video record a song please report this using the Record column in CopyReport. The CCL does not permit you to record copyrighted service words, for example the Book of Common Prayer.

Do I need a licence if I am making a wedding video for a friend?

You would require the Limited Manufacture Licence - LML which is available from PRS for Music.

I want to use a song for the soundtrack of a film I'm making. Which licence do I need?

You will need to contact the Performing Right Society (PRS for music) and obtain the Limited Manufacture Licence (LML). You will need the MCPS (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society) to cover the copyright in the musical work and the PPL (Phonographic Performance Licence ) to cover the sound recording.
More questions...


Popular questions:

How can I register with CCLI?

To become a registered Copyright Owner with CCLI, you need to provide written agreement. Please contact our Copyright department on 01323 436104.

How much does it cost to register songs with CCLI?

There is no charge to register songs with CCLI. Please contact our Copyright department if you would like to register your songs on 01323 436104.

Who can I contact to get my songs published?

CCLI is unable to recommend any particular publisher to you. The contact details for numerous music publishers, whom you may wish to contact directly, can be found on the Authorised Administrator List.
More questions...

Using the Internet

Popular questions:

Are we allowed to reproduce songs and music downloaded from websites?

Unfortunately there are many web-pages illegally offering lyric and music downloads so we would recommend caution before using sites. If you are downloading from an authorised company these can be reported in the usual manner. Some web-pages are already listed under the MRL songbooks list e.g. TYM (Thankyou Music) Sheet Music, We do not require details of the source for word reproductions but for music please use the Book Not Found facility on the MRL section. Enter the web-address in the Songbook field and a number "1" in the Publisher and ISBN fields as these are not applicable to web-pages. The site will now appear as an entry in the MRL Songbooks list and music downloaded from this web-page can be reported using the Add Song feature. Once again enter a number "1" in the Song Number field as this is not relevant to music downloaded from web-pages. You may be interested in CCLI's online service SongSelect which enables churches to download lyrics.

Do we require a licence to show a downloaded video in church? Can we use YouTube in church?

We recommend that you obtain direct permission from the owner of the video. YouTube's terms state their site is for private use only.

Are there any licences that would enable a church to put videos on YouTube or on the church website if they have copyrighted music on the soundtrack?

Yes. There are a number of different permissions/licences that are required.

If you want to include audio on your personal or church website (including the music sound-track of a video clip) you need to obtain a licence from PRS (in addition to MCPS & PPL should they be required. Visit the PRS for Music website for details.

YouTube operates under a strict guideline that any videos must be copyright cleared by the person placing them on the site. This relates to both the audio and video included in the clip you intend to upload.

To upload your own home-made video clip you need to ensure that the music included is either Public Domain or owned by yourself.
Otherwise you will need to contact MCPS* for a licence to record someone else’s song/music. If your home-made video clip includes music from a pre-recorded source (e.g. a track from a commercially available CD) you will need to contact both MCPS and PPL.

To upload clips from a commercially available video/DVD, or recorded from television, you would first have to obtain permission from the film/program producers.

* If you live in the UK and your church has a Church Copyright Licence (CCL), an MCPS right is included which permits churches to record services (including the music) for limited distribution to members of their congregation.However, the number of copies you can make under a CCL is restricted to 25% of the church Size Category.

Broadcast on t

More questions...


Popular questions:

Can I still report using my CopyReport4 software, my CD-ROM or Booklets?

Unfortunately not. The Online Reporting website has now replaced these and is the only way to report to CCLI. Most have found the new system an improvement, however we recognise that making the transition can be a challenge for some. You'll find lots of support and video help-guides on our website:

Why can't I search for a song using its first line?

Most hymnbooks include songs in alphabetical order by the first line of text. However, when a song is registered with CCLI it is most commonly done under the song’s title. This occasionally causes problems for the user. For example, Stuart Townend’s The Lord’s My Shepherd is actually called Psalm 23. Some have asked why a ‘search by first line’ option isn’t available. Actually, it is, but sometimes the search result won’t match your search criteria because you searched by first line and the result is the song’s title. A good example of this would be a search for Graham Kendrick’s From Heaven You Came Helpless Babe which will return The Servant King as the first (and correct) result. Or a search for We Are A Moment by Gary Sadler/Lynn DeShazo which will correctly return Be Unto Your Name.

Why can I no longer search by Publication?

We’re aware that Online Reporting doesn’t enable users to search for songs based upon the songbook they use. This is a commonly-requested feature and is definitely high on our development ‘to do’ list; we’re working hard to include it in a future release of Online Reporting.

Why does my search return so many results and how do I know I've selected the right song from the list?

Unfortunately, songwriters don’t always choose unique titles for their songs, and there can often be several versions/arrangements of the same song by different authors. This can cause some challenges when trying to report a specific song. The ‘Best Match’ feature is there to help, showing the most common titles first. If you find multiple results with that same song title, please check the names of the authors and copyright information to determine which song you need to report against. TIP: If you click on a song title in the list of search results it will display further information about that song including the author, catalogue and copyright details, lyric preview and often a sound sample too.

We use OHP acetates. Which fixation category should we report these under?

Reproducing the words to songs using an Overhead Projector and acetates is defined as ‘Print’ (because you have written/typed/printed or copied the words onto an OHP acetate).
More questions...